76.1 F
Laguna Hills
Thursday, May 21, 2026

Standard Pacific Home Orders Jump from Depressed Levels

Irvine-based homebuilder Standard Pacific Corp. said Monday that new home orders in July and August were up 20% from a year earlier.

Home orders were up nearly 100% in California, while orders in Arizona increased by 42% from last year’s levels. Orders were down 24% in Florida, 13% in the Carolinas and 5% in Texas.

The big gains in California and Arizona have much to do with weak sales a year earlier, Standard Pacific said. The company noted that last year’s third quarter order levels were down 58% compared to the 2005 third quarter.

“Our absolute sales absorption rates continue to reflect the difficult housing conditions in most of our markets which were exacerbated during the quarter by the further tightening of available mortgage credit for homebuyers,” the company said in a statement.

Standard Pacific said it expects to take additional impairment charges in its third quarter, due to continued pressure on home prices.

The company said that its cancellation rate for July and August was 33% compared to 51% in the year earlier period, and 28% in the 2007 second quarter.

Want more from the best local business newspaper in the country?

Sign-up for our FREE Daily eNews update to get the latest Orange County news delivered right to your inbox!

Would you like to subscribe to Orange County Business Journal?

One-Year for Only $99

  • Unlimited access to OCBJ.com
  • Daily OCBJ Updates delivered via email each weekday morning
  • Journal issues in both print and digital format
  • The annual Book of Lists: industry of Orange County's leading companies
  • Special Features: OC's Wealthiest, OC 500, Best Places to Work, Charity Event Guide, and many more!

Previous article
Next article
Mark Mueller
Mark Mueller
Mark is the former Editor-in-Chief and current Community Editor of the Orange County Business Journal, one of the premier regional business newspapers in the country. He’s the fifth person to hold the editor’s position in the paper’s long history. He oversees a staff of about 15 people. The OCBJ is considered a must-read for area business executives. The print edition of the paper is the primary source of local news for most of the Business Journal’s subscribers, which includes most of OC’s major corporate and community players. Mark’s been with the paper since 2005, and long served as the real estate reporter for the paper, breaking hundreds of commercial and residential real estate stories. He took on the editor’s position in 2018.

Featured Articles

Related Articles