69.9 F
Laguna Hills
Tuesday, May 19, 2026

Decision on Santa Ana Condos Unlikely Before Midyear



RESIDENTIAL

Don’t expect to see anyone moving in, conversion to apartments or ownership changes at Santa Ana’s Skyline MacArthur Place condominium towers until midyear at the earliest.

The twin 25-story towers,Orange County’s tallest condo buildings,are likely to remain empty and off the market for the next three to six months, according to real estate sources.

That much time is needed to give the project’s main financier, New York-based iStar Financial Inc., a better sense of where the local market stands, sources familiar with the situation said earlier this month.

Prospective buyers have been asking about acquiring the condos from iStar, which contrary to speculation hasn’t officially taken the property back from developer Nexus Cos. of Santa Ana, according to sources.

Right now, a distressed sale of the buildings along the Costa Mesa (55) Freeway in Hutton Centre seems unlikely. IStar appears to think any sale now would be at too steep of a discount, sources were told this month by the finance company.

Resuming sales of the condos hasn’t happened either, because of the tough market for home sales. The sales office for the project has been closed since last fall.






Skyline condos during earlier construction phase: now nearly done

Meanwhile, iStar isn’t convinced that converting some or all of the 349 condos to apartments is the best decision either, in part because the units are too large.

Nexus last year filed an amendment to its development agreement with the Santa Ana Planning Commission that would allow leasing of some or all of the two towers. It withdrew that request shortly after.

Right now, the only company making some money off the project is Nexus, sources said. Nexus still is wrapping up some construction at the mostly completed buildings and likely is getting paid management fees for its efforts.


COMMERCIAL

Even recessionaires are feeling the pinch of the tough commercial real estate market.

Earlier this month I wrote about Newport Beach’s KBS Realty Advisors, which has been one of the most active buyers of offices, industrial buildings and mortgage-related investments in the past year.

KBS was part of a Business Journal profile of “recessionaires”,businesses that are doing well because of the down economy.

The company and its affiliates have bought close to a billion dollars worth of real estate and debt in the past year. KBS has been buying while others still are waiting for prices to fall further, something Chief Executive Chuck Schreiber said could be wishful thinking.

Fire sales aren’t necessarily going to happen, Schreiber contends, particularly for the best buildings.

But that doesn’t mean prices aren’t coming down.

Earlier this month, the company’s KBS Real Estate Investment Trust Inc. affiliate noted in a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission that some of its investments have dropped in value during the downturn.

The company said it was taking a $93 million fourth-quarter charge, which represents about 3% of its assets. The charges stem from lower values of mortgage bonds and other debt investments made by KBS.

The impairments shouldn’t result in a reduction in dividend payments for shareholders, according to the filing.

Grubb Pay Cuts

Santa Ana-based Grubb & Ellis Co. is trying to save some money by cutting pay for some of its top executives.

The real estate brokerage and investor said this month that its interim chief executive, Gary Hunt, has cut his monthly salary in half, to $50,000.

That reduced salary is what Hunt,former political adviser for Irvine Company,was paid when he took the top spot last summer.

His salary doubled earlier this year, to the consternation of former chairman Tony Thompson, who has accused Grubb of being wasteful during the down market.

Meanwhile Grubb’s current chairman and largest shareholder, C. Michael Kojaian, said that he has decided to forego his full compensation and expense allowance.

As chairman, Kojaian was entitled to a retainer fee of $80,000, $140,000 worth of restricted stock and an expense allowance of $25,000 every year.

The reduction in executive pay is just one of the cost-cutting measures the company’s enacted of late. Like most brokerages struggling with slower leasing and sales, Grubb’s been reducing staff during the past few months.

Want more from the best local business newspaper in the country?

Sign-up for our FREE Daily eNews update to get the latest Orange County news delivered right to your inbox!

Would you like to subscribe to Orange County Business Journal?

One-Year for Only $99

  • Unlimited access to OCBJ.com
  • Daily OCBJ Updates delivered via email each weekday morning
  • Journal issues in both print and digital format
  • The annual Book of Lists: industry of Orange County's leading companies
  • Special Features: OC's Wealthiest, OC 500, Best Places to Work, Charity Event Guide, and many more!

Mark Mueller
Mark Mueller
Mark is the former Editor-in-Chief and current Community Editor of the Orange County Business Journal, one of the premier regional business newspapers in the country. He’s the fifth person to hold the editor’s position in the paper’s long history. He oversees a staff of about 15 people. The OCBJ is considered a must-read for area business executives. The print edition of the paper is the primary source of local news for most of the Business Journal’s subscribers, which includes most of OC’s major corporate and community players. Mark’s been with the paper since 2005, and long served as the real estate reporter for the paper, breaking hundreds of commercial and residential real estate stories. He took on the editor’s position in 2018.

Featured Articles

Related Articles