61.6 F
Laguna Hills
Friday, May 22, 2026

Standard Pacific Sees Loss After Big Charge

Irvine-based homebuilder Standard Pacific Corp. reported a fourth-quarter profit after a big charge stemming from a reworking of its debt.

The homebuilder reported an adjusted profit of $4.3 million, versus a break-even estimate by analysts.

A year ago, Standard Pacific earned $82.7 million, helped by a $94.1 million tax break.

Including a $23 million charge for retiring debt early, Standard lost $21.9 million in the recently ended quarter.

Homebuilding revenue came in at $212.4 million, down 37% from a year earlier.

Analysts had been expecting revenue of $213 million.

Standard’s shares were off slightly in afterhours trading. The company counts a market value of about $475 million.

Officials with the company, the largest homebuilder based in the county, said they were pleased with the latest results, and noted the fourth-quarter loss comes with a big asterisk.

The company took a charge related to the refinancing of $575.7 million of debt. Short-term debt now has been reduced from $665 million to less than $90 million.

“Before debt refinancing charges, the fourth quarter represented our third consecutive quarter of generating an operating profit,” Chief Executive Ken Campbell said.

Standard Pacific delivered 619 new homes to buyers in the quarter, down 34% from a year earlier.

New home orders were down 22%, to 428 homes.

Prices were up 7% from a year ago, to $340,000.

The debt reworking and recently raised money should help the company continue buying land, officials said.

The company closed on $33.6 million of land buys in the quarter, and has approvals for another $45 million of land deals.

About 36% of the latest land purchases are in California, 38% are in Texas with the balance spread throughout the company’s other operations.

The company spent about $315 million on land buys for all of 2010.

Want more from the best local business newspaper in the country?

Sign-up for our FREE Daily eNews update to get the latest Orange County news delivered right to your inbox!

Would you like to subscribe to Orange County Business Journal?

One-Year for Only $99

  • Unlimited access to OCBJ.com
  • Daily OCBJ Updates delivered via email each weekday morning
  • Journal issues in both print and digital format
  • The annual Book of Lists: industry of Orange County's leading companies
  • Special Features: OC's Wealthiest, OC 500, Best Places to Work, Charity Event Guide, and many more!

Mark Mueller
Mark Mueller
Mark is the former Editor-in-Chief and current Community Editor of the Orange County Business Journal, one of the premier regional business newspapers in the country. He’s the fifth person to hold the editor’s position in the paper’s long history. He oversees a staff of about 15 people. The OCBJ is considered a must-read for area business executives. The print edition of the paper is the primary source of local news for most of the Business Journal’s subscribers, which includes most of OC’s major corporate and community players. Mark’s been with the paper since 2005, and long served as the real estate reporter for the paper, breaking hundreds of commercial and residential real estate stories. He took on the editor’s position in 2018.

Featured Articles

Related Articles