62.4 F
Laguna Hills
Thursday, May 21, 2026

Taco Bell Takes HQ From Shrunken Ford

Irvine-based Taco Bell Corp., the largest restaurant chain operator based in Orange County, has signed a deal to move its headquarters from the John Wayne Airport area to the Irvine Spectrum.

The fast food company, part of Louisville, Ky.-based Yum Brands Inc., signed a 10-year lease for about two-thirds of the space at One Premier Place, a two-building center that faces the Santa Ana (I-5) Freeway near Alton Parkway.

The high-profile buildings, which total roughly 300,000 square feet, have served as the West Coast headquarters for Ford Motor Co. since their construction in 2001 at a cost of about $68 million.

Taco Bell’s lease is for 181,000 square feet, which makes it one of the largest office deals to be signed in OC in several years.

Terms of the deal weren’t disclosed. Taco Bell will be moving into the space in early 2010. The offices should hold about 600 employees, officials said.

The One Premier Place buildings are owned by Ford. During the past year, the automaker has seen a number of big changes that have drastically shrunk its local operations.

The Irvine site had been the U.S. headquarters for Ford’s Premier Automotive Group, which was made up of the automaker’s European brands.

In June, Ford sold its Jaguar and Land Rover subsidiaries, which had their U.S. headquarters in Irvine, to India’s Tata Motors Ltd. for $2.3 billion. Those companies now are relocating to the East Coast.

Ford’s Volvo subsidiary also is moving its North American headquarters from Irvine to New Jersey this year in an unrelated move. The East Coast location makes it easier for U.S. executives to stay in touch with Volvo’s global headquarters in Sweden, officials said.

In 2007, Ford sold a majority stake in Premier Automotive Group’s Aston Martin to a group of investors for $848 million.

The departures of the European brands are leaving empty much of the office complex,one of the first buildings in OC to be designated as environmentally friendly.

Ford is keeping what’s left of its local operations in 90,000 square feet at the complex. Ford officials said the company remains committed to keeping a presence in OC.

About 125 employees at Ford will remain at the site, and those departments which are remaining in Irvine are not downsizing, said John Clinard, Western regional communications manager for Ford.

One Premier Place includes an 181,000-square-foot office tower and a 90,000-square-foot product development wing.

Taco Bell is taking up the entire five-story office tower. Ford’s Western headquarters staff and design group will be housed in the product development wing, which will be reconfigured.

Maintaining the design operations and West Coast headquarters at the property “is a high priority,” said J Mays, group vice president and chief creative officer for Ford, in a statement.

“The fact that the office tower can accommodate Taco Bell is an ideal outcome,” Mays said.

The tower will be reconfigured to include office space for Taco Bell’s restaurant support center, which includes development, finance, food innovation, human resources, legal, marketing and other corporate staff. The building will also include test kitchen facilities, among other features.


Staying in OC

Taco Bell has long operated out of 17901 Von Karman Ave., a 12-story tower next to the San Diego (I-405) Freeway that bears the company’s name, as well as an adjacent building.

Consolidating the two buildings into the Ford property, which are larger floors, should allow Taco Bell to be more efficient spacewise, said Kevin Bender, a broker with the Newport Beach office of CB Richard Ellis Group Inc.

The restaurant chain, which the Business Journal estimates had revenue of $1.9 billion last year, had been on the lookout for office space for more than a year.

The company never considered relocating operations outside OC, said Connie Colao, Taco Bell’s chief people officer.

CB Richard Ellis’s Bender and Mark Sprague represented Taco Bell in the lease, while Dean Chandler and Jeff Morgan, also from CB Richard Ellis, represented Ford.

Want more from the best local business newspaper in the country?

Sign-up for our FREE Daily eNews update to get the latest Orange County news delivered right to your inbox!

Would you like to subscribe to Orange County Business Journal?

One-Year for Only $99

  • Unlimited access to OCBJ.com
  • Daily OCBJ Updates delivered via email each weekday morning
  • Journal issues in both print and digital format
  • The annual Book of Lists: industry of Orange County's leading companies
  • Special Features: OC's Wealthiest, OC 500, Best Places to Work, Charity Event Guide, and many more!

Mark Mueller
Mark Mueller
Mark is the former Editor-in-Chief and current Community Editor of the Orange County Business Journal, one of the premier regional business newspapers in the country. He’s the fifth person to hold the editor’s position in the paper’s long history. He oversees a staff of about 15 people. The OCBJ is considered a must-read for area business executives. The print edition of the paper is the primary source of local news for most of the Business Journal’s subscribers, which includes most of OC’s major corporate and community players. Mark’s been with the paper since 2005, and long served as the real estate reporter for the paper, breaking hundreds of commercial and residential real estate stories. He took on the editor’s position in 2018.

Featured Articles

Related Articles