About 390 people attended the Business Journal’s 17th Family Owned Business Awards luncheon at Hotel Irvine on Tuesday.
The annual event was highlighted by a keynote address by Steve and Alexis Schulze, co-founders of Nekter Juice Bar.
The couple, who said the Santa Ana-based company just opened its 60th location, debated in a lighthearted exchange the merits of taking action and pursuing passion when establishing and expanding a company. In the end, they agreed that balance between the two is the key to Nekter’s success.
This year’s awards went to:
- R.A. Industries LLC/Markall Inc., based in Santa Ana, for longevity
- San Clemente-based Slyde Handboards, in the up and coming business category
- Urban Produce, based in Irvine, as a small business
- Costa Mesa-based Portola Coffee Lab as a medium business
- Professional Plastics Inc., based in Fullerton, as a large business
The honorees will be profiled in the Business Journal’s July 4 print edition.