Share this article:
The Walt Disney Co. plans to break ground on its new Star Wars-themed land at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim next year, the Burbank-based company said.
Disney’s chief operating officer Tom Staggs made the announcement at an investors’ conference in Beverly Hills, though he did not say when the attraction would open. The new 14-acre attraction announced last month at the company's D23 Expo marks the largest individual land expansion in Disneyland Park's 60-year history.
Located on the site now occupied by Big Thunder Ranch and adjacent areas backstage it will include two major rides: one seeing visitors fly the Millennium Falcon spaceship and another involving them in a battle featuring characters from the movie “Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens,” set for release on Dec. 18.
The company also said an identical Star Wars land would open at its Hollywood Studios theme park in Florida. Work will also start on that project next year, Staggs said at Thursday’s Bank of America-Merrill Lynch Media, Communications and Entertainment Conference.
Monetti is a reporter at our sister publication, the Los Angeles Business Journal.