Executives at companies based in OC made a Wall Street Journal list of 500 public company chief executives that ranks by pay and compares 2016 total cash-and-stock compensation with their companies’ shareholder return in 2016.
CEOs on the list who lead OC-based firms include:
- Michael Mussallem of Edwards Lifesciences Corp. in Irvine, with $9.7 million in compensation and shareholder return up 19%
- Michael McKee, Chairman of healthcare REIT HCP Inc., who served as interim chief executive for part of last year, with $5.8 million in compensation and shareholder return down 9.4%
CEOs at firms with an OC presence also made the list, including:
- Walt Disney Co.’s Robert Iger, with compensation of about $44 million and shareholder return down 8.6%; Disney owns Disneyland Resort in Anaheim
- Robert Kotick of gaming company Activision Blizzard Inc., with $33.1 million in compensation and shareholder return down 6%; its Blizzard Entertainment Inc. unit is in Irvine
- Hock Tan of chipmaker Broadcom Ltd., with $25 million in compensation and shareholder return up 39%; the company bought Broadcom Corp. in Irvine and kept its name
- Stuart Miller of homebuilder and developer Lennar Corp., with compensation of $19.2 million and shareholder return down 17%; Lennar holds the biggest stake in Aliso Viejo-based Five Point Holdings LLC, owner of Great Park Neighborhoods developer FivePoint Communities Inc.
- Stephen Milligan of Western Digital Corp., with compensation of $10.5 million and shareholder return down 40%; the storage products maker recently moved its headquarters to Silicon Valley.
The top-ranked chief executive on the Wall Street Journal list was Sundar Pichai, co-CEO of Google parent Alphabet Inc., whose 2016 compensation was $197.9 million—all stock—with shareholder return up 1.9%.